Skip to content
Login to Openetti

Do you work part-time?

If you work on a part-time or casual basis, or if you run a part-time business, you may be entitled to an adjusted earnings-related allowance.

Eligibility criteria for an adjusted allowance

You may be eligible for an adjusted daily allowance if:

  • you work part-time (up to 80% of the working hours of a full-time employee in your field)
  • you work on a casual basis (full-time for up to 14 days)
  • your daily or weekly working hours have been cut on the basis of a layoff
  • you have a part-time business
  • you have been paid writer’s fees or other similar royalties for independent work

Remember to keep your job search valid!

Being registered as actively seeking work is also an absolute eligibility criterion for an adjusted allowance.

You cannot claim an adjusted allowance, however, if you have chosen to cut your working hours below the threshold of 80% of a full-time employee’s working hours. Eligibility for an allowance in these cases requires that the reduction in working hours was initiated by your employer.

Application process

  1. Let the TE Office know that you are working part-time. If you have an active employment contract and wish to claim an adjusted allowance, you must be registered as actively seeking work.
  2. Submit an application for an earnings-related allowance to your unemployment fund. Your application must show the hours that you worked during the period in question. Please also specify the dates on which you received your wages during the period and estimate the dates on which you expect to be paid in the future.
  3. You can track the general progress of your application on the front page of our website at Any letters that we send you requesting further information will appear in your inbox in Openetti.
  4. There is also an allowance calculator in Openetti that you can use to get an idea of the amount of your adjusted allowance. Please note that, for the purposes of adjusted allowances, wages are factored in on a cash basis, i.e. based on when they were paid.


If you are just starting part-time work and wish to claim an adjusted allowance, please enclose with your application

  • a copy of your part-time employment contract. If you do not have a written employment contract, please enclose a description of the general terms of your employment. An employment contract is not usually required for employment relationships lasting no longer than 14 days. In such cases, please specify the length of your employment relationship in the notes section of the application.

You can read more about adjusted earnings-related allowances via the link below.