Skip to content
Login to Openetti

Benefits taxation at the end of the year 2022 and at the beginning of the year 2023

At the end of the year, some of our members may have a situation where the annual limit of the tax card is exceeded. In this case, the additional percentage of the tax card will be used for the payment of earnings-related unemployment allowance, job alternation allowance or mobility allowance.

The Teachers’ Unemployment Fund has introduced a function whereby our system estimates the average benefit for our members for the rest of the year. If, on the basis of this assessment, it appears that the annual limit of the tax card is about to be exceeded, a letter will automatically be sent to the member from the fund. In the letter, the member is instructed to check his own tax rate for the rest of the year and, if desired, to submit a new revised tax card determined for benefits to the fund.

Even though the robot checks the tax information, remember to monitor the accrual of the annual limit yourself. You can easily check the tax card and accrual information in Openetti under Income and Tax Details > Tax Details.

Taxation of benefits in 2023

In January 2023, we will apply the same withholding rate as in December 2022. However, the annual accrual will be reset at the turn of the year, so the basic percentage is used in the payment.

We will receive your original tax card information for salary income for 2023 directly from the Tax Administration. The new tax rate will come into effect on 1 February 2023. You will not need to send the tax card you receive at home automatically to the Unemployment Fund. Based on thetax card for salary income, tax from the benefits is withheld at least 25%, even if the withholding rate is below it on the tax card.

If you wish, you can submit a revised tax card for benefits, in which case the tax will be withheld accordingly. Note that your tax withdrawal rate is also affected by the annual income threshold provided on your tax card. On exceeding the threshold, we will apply the higher rate.

The fastest way to get a new tax card is to order one on the electronic service of the Tax Administration,MyTax, at When you order a tax card, please select Teachers’ UF (Opettajien Tk) as the payer of the benefit. If you do so, the information will be submitted to the Teachers’ Unemployment Fund automatically, and you will not need to submit your tax card separately. If you order a revised tax card for a social benefit in another manner, please send it to us on Openetti or by mail. Learn more about MyTax. More information on the taxation of benefits paid by us is available on the website of the Tax Administration at

N.B: According to information received from the Tax Administration, the processing of tax cards is currently partly congested. If necessary, you can contact the Tax Administration’s customer service for more information.