Skip to content
Login to Openetti

This is the second part of our series of articles on
the questions frequently asked of us. In the series of articles, we offer
current information on recurring questions, in small packages of a few
questions at a time. The following questions have been particularly common in
our member services from the turn of the year until today.

You can also find the answer to your concerns in the
FAQ section of our website. All the collected FAQs can be found separately in
each section, such as Earnings-related allowance -> FAQ about
earnings-related allowance.

1. I am considering resigning for
reasons, because (the reason). Is there going to be a suspension period? Am I
entitled to earnings-related allowance as soon as the employment relationship
has ended?

The Employment and Economic Development Office
examines the applicant’s labour market policy conditions and decides on a
possible suspension period, i.e. an unpaid period, if the applicant has
resigned from their job for no valid reason. These valid reasons for resigning
from work are defined in the Unemployment Security Act, on the basis of which
the assessment is carried out. As the TE Office decides on the suspension
period to be set, we ask you to contact the TE Office in your area for further
information on any suspension period that may be set. You can also find further
information on the TE Office’s website.

2. Why have I been given a waiting
period again? What is a waiting period?

Unemployment benefit can only be paid after the
waiting period. The waiting period equals five weekdays of unemployment that
must be met in 8 consecutive calendar weeks. When you work part-time during the
application period, the waiting period for hourly accumulation is calculated so
that the time corresponds to five full, completely unemployed days.

The waiting period is set for the first time when you
become an applicant for earnings-related allowance and then no more than once a
year when you re-fulfil the 26-week employment condition. The Teachers’
Unemployment Fund will monitor the re-accumulation of the employment condition
when processing your applications. If the employment condition is met, a
waiting period is set, if necessary, and it is checked whether the salary on
which the daily allowance is based are redefined at the same time. In this way,
the waiting period can be set again, even if you have been receiving
earnings-related allowance continuously.

During the temporary changes in legislations due to
the coronavirus, the waiting period was set between 16 March and 31 December
2020, but earnings-related allowance was paid for the waiting period. This has
contributed to confusion at a time when no daily allowance is normally paid for
the waiting period.

3. I’m laid off for several periods. Is
it sufficient that I have send my layoff notification and included the
information on the layoff periods in the application? Should I make a separate
application for each period?

Earnings-related allowance must always be applied for
in writing. A notification of unemployment or lay-offs alone is not enough.
After the first application, a follow-up application must be filled out. The
right to earnings-related allowance is decided on the basis of your newly
received application, its attachments and the statement of the TE Office. Apply
for each layoff period afterwards. Under the Unemployment Security Act,
earnings-related allowance must be applied for no later than after three
months. You can find further information on filling out the layoff period application
on our website under Earnings-related allowance -> Temporary layoff.

4. I want to take a job alternation
leave, what do I need to do?

If you want to take alternation leave, first find out
if an alternation leave is possible for you. To take alternation leave, you
must work a permanent full-time job and your working hours must be at least 75%
of the full-time work. It is also a condition that you have worked for the same
employer for 13 months before you take alternation leave. There must also be 20
years of employment history. You can find out in advance the length of your
employment history from the Teachers’ Unemployment Fund. Ask the Teachers’
Unemployment Fund for a written assessment of the adequacy of your work history
through Openetti. In the message, you should state your date of birth, the
planned time of starting the job alternation leave and your current home
address.  The exact requirements and
restrictions to job alternation compensation can be found on the Teachers’
Unemployment Fund website.

The job alternation leave is primarily a contract
matter between you and your employer. Agree in writing on your job alternation
leave with your employer and fill out the job alternation agreement. You can
find the application on the TE Office website. Next, contact the TE Office.
They will examine your right to job alternation leave and give a statement
regarding the matter to the Teachers’ Unemployment Fund. Deliver the necessary
attachments to the TE Office.

When you job alternation leave approaches, submit the
application for the whole job alternation period to the Teachers’ Unemployment
Fund . The easiest way to apply for job alternation compensation is through
Openetti. A copy of your job alternation agreement is required as an attachment.
We will receive salary information from the Incomes Register as of 1 January
2020, so as a rule, you do not need to attach salary information for 52 weeks
to the application. If you or your family member are engaged in business
activities, a copy is needed of the last confirmed tax decision and a statement
from the Employment and Economic Development Office that you are eligible for
the compensation despite the business activities.

Job alternation compensation is paid retroactively in
periods of four calendar weeks or one month. The first payment period can be
for a shorter or longer period, depending on the processing situation.